If you are weighing your options for how to resolve the terms of your divorce, you may be considering divorce mediation. Divorce mediation is an alternative dispute resolution strategy for resolving issues like dividing the property, assets and debts between you and your ex, deciding on a parenting plan and/or custody agreement that can guide your co-parenting plans and even determining whether or not you need to consider spousal support and/or child support. Here are five reasons to try divorce mediation to handle these and other important issues:
1. Mediation costs less than litigation: Divorce can cost thousands of dollars, much of that in legal fees to prepare for litigation. Mediation offers an alternative to litigation and costs thousands less than a court battle. You are not required to hire attorneys to represent you (though you can if you decide that is important). You can expect to spend around $4000 when you have a mediated divorce. If you proceed with litigation, you can expect to spend in the neighborhood of $15,000.
2. Less stressful: Divorce is very stressful and frequently regarded as one of the most stressful of all life events. This stress can come in many forms – emotional stress, financial stress and stress about all of the conflict you are experiencing. Mediation actually reduces this conflict and allows you to move forward with your life more quickly, which dramatically reduces your stress.
3. Faster process: There is an element of a prolonged divorce battle that is simply agonizing and some say tortuous. The entire mediation process can take a few short months to complete, rather than 6-12 months of an average court-based divorce.
4. Allows you to make decisions: When you go through the courts, you relinquish your ability to make decisions about your divorce. Mediation empowers you to make these important decisions, which ultimately serves your entire family in a more positive way.
5. Effective co-parenting: When you mediate your divorce, you are practicing more positive interactions with your ex, which will serve you well as you co-parent after your divorce.
Minnesota Divorce Mediation Specialists
AMS Mediation is an experienced divorce mediation service in Minnesota that can help you and your family navigate this difficult time. If you would like to learn more about the divorce mediation process and how it might work in your specific case, give our team a call at 952-252-1492 and we will be happy to schedule a free consultation.