Alimony is also known as “spousal support” or “maintenance” payments. These payments come after a divorce. The marital settlement agreement and/or the court’s divorce judgment will contain an order that defines the terms of the alimony payments, like how much will be paid each month and when the payments are due. Some orders also say when alimony ends–this might be a specific date or be connected to an event, like the remarriage of the spouse receiving alimony. Orders also describe specifics under which alimony can be modified, let’s say if someone becomes employed. In some events, some orders will state that the amount of alimony will never be changed under any circumstance.

You will Need to Show a Change In Circumstances

If the settlement agreement or order doesn’t address the issue of when alimony can be modified, then either spouse is free to seek a change to alimony by filing a request with the court. In some cases, the paying spouse who can no longer afford alimony must ask the court to make a change. When doing this, you must prove why the reduction or cease of payment is justified. In order to convince the court to reduce (or even terminate) alimony, the paying spouse must demonstrate a significant change in the financial circumstances of one or both spouses, such as:

  • the involuntary loss of a job or wage reduction
  • an illness or disability that prevents the paying spouse from working
  • the remarriage of the supported spouse
  • the supported spouse’s cohabitation with a new partner, or
  • and increase in former spouse’s income.

When you want to make a change, the reasons must be significant. The judge will not grant a reduction based upon minor circumstances to either spouse’s income or other financial resources. One a motion to modify alimony has been filed, the court will typically allow the spouses to conduct “discovery.” Discovery means that each party will be entitled to ask the other to produce documentation showing the ability to pay support or the need for financial support. These documents will be paystubs, tax returns and financial statements.

If you are looking for Alimony adjustment help in Burnsville, Minnesota AMS Mediation provides superior professional divorce services. With years of experience, AMS can help you make this process run smoothly and help decide if you have the right documents, and a good argument to seek alimony adjustments. At AMS, Amber makes sure that all of her clients understand that she prioritizes her clients as number one, and empowers each person to achieve fair, affordable, and workable solutions which satisfy their unique needs and circumstances.


The safety of clients, ourselves, and colleagues is our top priority while we remain available to assist you as you navigate the new and uncharted territory caused by the coronavirus pandemic.


Offering All Services Virtually

While providing virtual ADR services was not part of our plan, we have made the necessary accommodations to ensure we can continue to serve our clients during these unsettling times. All services are currently available through virtually. We are using Zoom for videoconferencing. We suggest that you download this app to your phone or the program to your computer at


Limited In-Person Services

We have resumed limited in-person services for sessions with 1 or 2 participants scheduled for a maximum of 2 hours. Masks are required in our building and in session. Availability is subject to change based on local regulations and CDC guidelines.


Office Hours

Our office hours remain the same and we remain available by phone and email. The main office number is 952.252.1492. Gabe can be reached via email at


New Clients Welcome

We offer free 1-hour divorce consultations via Zoom. Potential PC and PTE clients are invited to schedule a free 15-minute phone call. Please call 952.252.1492 to set up an appointment. We are here to help!

Thank you for your patience and understanding as we all continue to adapt to these rapidly changing and chaotic times. Stay strong, stay resilient, and stay healthy!


Amber Serwat & Gabe Frye
ADR Professional & ADR Assistant

Divorce Mediation & Dispute Resolution Services - Amber Serwat Mediation

You have Successfully Subscribed!