The New Year’s holiday can be one of the most difficult ones to spend alone after a divorce. You have likely been out on dates with your ex many previous New Year’s Eve, looking forward to a new year together. If the idea of ringing in the new year on your own is causing you stress, here are some tips for navigating the holiday successfully:
1. Try to keep it in perspective: New Year’s Eve is one single night of the year. One out of 365. There are many others in the world who are also spending it alone. Trying to remember that it is a day just like any other can help you keep it in perspective.
2. Do what you love: Think ahead about what you might enjoy doing on New Year’s Eve this year. Maybe that is visiting a family member, exercising, shopping, or eating a special meal. Make plans ahead of time so that you are not left without a plan.
3. Consider helping others: If you do not have big plans for New Year’s Eve, consider how you might use your time to help others. This could be by serving food at a homeless shelter, by volunteering at your church, or even offering to babysit for a couple who might enjoy a few hours out without their kids. Helping others can help you too!
4. Make plans with other single friends: Chances are, you know other people who are feeling exactly the way you are. Invite those single friends to your home or invite them to meet you out for a drink or dinner so that you can spend time together. The support of your loved ones and your community can help you heal.
5. Indulge: If you have been craving a specific meal, a dessert, or if you have been dying to see a specific movie, give yourself permission to indulge a bit for the holiday and let yourself look forward to what you have been craving.
Divorce Mediation And Post-Divorce Mediation Services In Minnesota
AMS Mediation may not be able to help you with your New Year’s Eve plans, but we can help you navigate divorce or your interactions with your ex after your divorce. Divorce mediation and post-divorce mediation allow you to find solutions for the issues you face without going through the court system. For more information about our divorce mediation services, give us a call at 952-252-1492 to schedule a free consultation.