If you have decided that the best path forward for your family is divorce, developing a strong and fair parenting plan can be one of the most significant challenges. Parents tend not to agree on how to divide time with their children, in large part because they love them so much and cannot envision life without seeing them every day. But, the harsh reality with divorce is that developing a custody agreement (also known as a parenting plan) is what needs to happen in order to move forward with your life. AMS Mediation understands how difficult this aspect of a divorce can be and has extensive experience creating workable parenting protocols to set limits, define boundaries and expectations so that a child custody agreement can be successful for a family.
Co-Parenting Successfully after Divorce in MN
One of the most important components of a parenting agreement is honest and open communication. Many logistics are involved when you share custody. Drop off and pick up times, information about how the child may be feeling, how much school work has been done (or needs to be done) and other routine information must be passed back and forth regularly. AMS Mediation will work with you and your divorcing spouse to improve your communication patterns that have been in place in your marriage for the sake of your kids. In addition, here are some other tips for workable parenting protocols that will set you and your family up for successful co-parenting:
1. Do not speak negatively about your former spouse in front of your children.
2. Be respectful of your ex’s time. If you agree to meet at 9am, be there at 9am.
3. Be inclusive when you make decisions. Just because you may have custody at the time a decision is made does not mean you have the right to make the decision unilaterally.
4. Try to keep in mind that your kids need both of you in order to thrive so encourage a positive relationship between your children and your ex.
5. If an issue or dispute comes up related to your children, try to deal with it directly, quickly and without emotion.
Developing Successful Co-Parenting Strategies for Working with your Ex
AMS Mediation can help you lay out a plan for communicating with your ex after your divorce about all issues related to custody. In addition, if you need to work out a dispute, we offer post-divorce mediation services that can help you resolve issues without going to court. For more information about creating workable parenting protocols in MN with your ex, call us at 952-252-1492.