One of the most important components in a marriage is communication. In fact, when couples are asked why they decided to divorce, many point to failed or poor communication as the root cause of their marital problems. One thing that is important to recognize is that if you share children, the need for strong communication does not end when you sign your divorce papers. In fact, it is more important than ever to develop a clear and open path for communication once your divorce is over and you are both leading separate lives. A communication coach can help you communicate effectively, reduce overall conflict and focus on workable solutions so that you and your family can stay out of the court system.
Improve Communication With Your Ex
Amber Serwat of AMS Mediation can serve as a communication coach for you and your ex during and after your divorce. Partnering with a communication coach may be recommended by the courts, an attorney, a parenting consultant, or a Custody Evaluator. The goal is always to find a way to resolve the issues that you face without costly litigation. A communication coach will adjust to your unique needs and your unique challenges regarding communication. Here are some specifics areas where a communication coach can focus:
● Developing a set of best practices for you and your ex to use when you communicate. This can be a guide and gentle reminder to keep communication clear, effective and respectful.
● Developing strategies for protecting your children from the conflict between you and your ex.
● Tips for negotiating with your ex and how to raise questions and concerns without seeming threatening.
● Effective listening techniques
● Strategies for successful co-parenting for the long term.
● How to convey concern or frustration without anger
● Focusing on your future rather than your past.
Successful Co-Parenting Requires Communication
If you are struggling with communication in your marriage, during your separation or if you have been given the advice that a communication coach would benefit you and your ex, call the team at AMS Mediation at 952.252.1492 for a free consultation. Resolving communication issues can be the key in helping you and your ex co-parent successfully for many years to come. This can benefit you, your ex as well as your children. Right now, we are able to conduct virtual sessions as well as some in-person sessions to meet our clients’ needs. Communication coaching sessions generally involve both parties and you can expect to participate in multiple sessions until the issues have been resolved.