Every couple who finds themselves in the process of divorce should pursue the most effective possible means of finalizing the divorce. At AMS Mediation, we believe that the evidence of the last several decades indicates that mediation is the best choice for finalizing a divorce for many couples. But before you determine that mediated divorce is the right choice for you, you must ask and understand the answer to the question, “How does the mediation process work?”
AMS Mediation conducts a number of joint sessions with the divorcing couple, during which we work with you on the three major parts of a divorce settlement. The main components of the divorce settlement are:
● Dividing property currently owned by the couple;
● Determining financial support;
● Creating a parenting plan.
What is Involved in the Divorce Mediation Process?
The specific steps we follow with couples who are divorcing include the following:
1. We work with you to create an action plan and determine the priority of the issues that need to be resolved.
2. Help determine the pertinent information that needs to be gathered and shared.
3. Determine whether the circumstances warrant the use of other professional services, such as appraisers, accountants, and therapists.
4. Chart out your assets and liabilities; this information is documented and then shared.
5. Reach agreement on how best to divide your property.
6. Make budgets for both divorcing spouses to be used after finalizing your divorce.
7. Determine whether child support and/or spousal maintenance (alimony) will be included in the settlement.
8. Create a specific parenting plan so that your children’s lives will receive as little disruption and as much support as possible.
Divorce Mediation Services, Minnesota
Though most divorce mediators follow similar processes, you can count on AMS Mediation to lend you and your spouse time, attention, compassion, and professionalism. We understand that divorce can be a very painful experience for all family members, especially parents and children. So we approach your situation with such things in mind.
Similarly, you can trust that AMS Mediation will treat all of the information that’s relevant to the divorce settlement and all content of mediated discussions with utmost confidentiality and sensitivity. Additionally, and arguably most important, our team understands the complexities of Minnesota divorce law. We will help you find and identify priorities for your family and find common ground so that you can move through the process in a positive direction. For more information, contact us at 952.252.1492 for a free consultation.