One of the most difficult parts of a divorce is the impact on children. Divorce is not their choice, and even though it might be the best decision for the entire family’s well-being, the transition can be extremely challenging. Here are some tips for helping your child (or children) cope with your divorce.
1. Be open and honest in your communication: You are likely the center of your child’s universe, and they are looking to you for reassurance and information. Being open and honest with them about the changes that are coming and the logistics of what will happen next is critically important to helping your kids navigate the divorce process with less stress and anxiety.
2. Talk to their teachers and pediatrician: Assemble your team of people who love and support your child when you are not there. This may be a team coach, teacher(s), pediatrician, pastor or other mentors. These individuals can help provide stability and support to your child when they need it. Make sure to check in with them periodically about what their interactions with your child are like and ask them to reach out anytime they have concerns about how your child seems to be coping with the change.
3. Consider professional support: For some children, a professional therapist can provide valuable help and support. This person can allow your child to talk freely about things that are bothering him/her and will help process these feelings in a positive and productive way. You can get recommendations for a therapist from your pediatrician or school’s guidance counselor.
4. Let them control some decisions: While your kids may not be able to decide whether or not you divorce your spouse, you can give them control over certain decisions. Ask for their input where you can, specifically about things that they are interested in like extracurricular activities, dinner options, etc.
5. Keep some routines if you can: Divorce is one of the most significant changes in your life and the life of your kids. Sticking to certain routines like bedtime can provide an added sense of security during this uncertain time.
Reduce Stress With Divorce Mediation
AMS Mediation offers divorce mediation services that can provide a way to resolve the terms of your divorce with less conflict and stress which can reduce the difficulty on your kids, as well. If you would like more information about our divorce mediation services give us a call at 952-252-1492 to schedule a free consultation with our team.