No one thinks that they are headed for a divorce when they say, “I do”. Yet, unfortunately many couples end up realizing that their marriage is no longer working, and that divorce is the best path forward. How do you prepare yourself and your family for this? Here are some tips to help you and your family get ready for what is ahead:
1. Focus on your future: If you have made the decision to divorce, this has probably been on your mind for quite some time. Focusing on your future, rather than your past is one way to cope with the stress and difficulty.
2. Be organized: The divorce process can be tedious and requires extensive documentation and paperwork, specifically about your finances. Spend some time getting these documents together before you meet with a mediator or a lawyer.
3. Gather your support network: Going through a divorce is difficult on each member of your family. It is always a good idea to lean on your support network as you navigate the process. This may include family, friends, neighbors, your faith community and others who you feel close to. You should also consider reaching out to your children’s teacher(s) so that they are aware of what is going on at home.
4. Get professional help: Fairly early in the divorce process, you will need to make a decision about how you want to complete the process. You can hire a lawyer and go through the court system, or work with a mediator to resolve the outstanding issues outside of the courtroom. You may also benefit from other professional services including a therapist, accountant, parenting consultant, or a parenting coach.
5. Practice self-care: The divorce process can be emotionally draining. Now is a good time to think about the things that you do to “fill your cup”. Is that exercise, a special tea to drink, getting together with friends, a massage, a pedicure, or a good book? Make sure that you carve out time each week for yourself!
MN Divorce Mediation Services
AMS Mediation specializes in divorce mediation services for couples in Minnesota. While you may not know what to expect with a divorce, we do. We can guide you through the process and answer your questions every step of the way. We cannot guarantee it will be easy, but you can be confident that you will have the professional support you need to navigate the process successfully. Call us at 952-252-1492 for more information.