Many couples think about divorce for months or even years before they take the first step toward a separation. It is such a huge decision and because it is not one that we make often in our lives, it can be overwhelming to think about the necessary steps to take. AMS Mediation can help you navigate the divorce process from start to finish. No matter what stage you find yourself in, we can sit down with you and help you identify action items to take and a path forward that puts you and your family first. There are some tips for important first steps to take if you are ready to move ahead with planning for a healthy divorce.
1. Discuss options for moving forward with your spouse: Communication during and after divorce is critical and may be difficult if this has been a source of stress in your marriage. When you are ready to move forward, one important step is sitting down with your spouse when tensions are lower and talking about how you want the process to go. If you share children, you should also consider talking to your children openly and supportively about the changes that are coming for them.
2. Decide how you will settle the terms of your divorce: If you and your spouse want to save money and time, mediation may be an excellent way to settle the terms of your divorce. Mediation gives you the power to make decisions that are best for your family rather than leaving these big decisions in the hands of a judge.
3. Get a handle on your finances: Finances can be one of the most stressful aspects of a divorce. Spend time organizing your financial documentation and familiarizing yourself with your assets and debts before the process begins.
4. Seek support for each member of your family: Each member of your family has unique needs. Now is a good time to seek support for each member of your family. This may include family, friends, professional counselors, clergy, or even teachers.
5. Practice clear and courteous communication: As you begin to think about life after divorce, it becomes important to be able to communicate clearly and in a courteous way with your ex. Your mediator can help you with positive and healthy communication strategies.
Experienced Divorce Mediation Specialist
For mediation and parenting support services or to learn more about the divorce process, contact the team at AMS Mediation at 952-252-1492 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.