One of those old sayings that you may have heard before, but you cannot attribute to anyone specifically is, “Everyone complains about the weather, but no one does anything about it.” Well, as almost funny as that is, slightly less funny–but all the more true–is the same statement but substituting the word ‘communication’ for ‘weather.’ We all know how important communication is to healthy relationships, but it still seems to elude most of us. Even good communicators would admit that they fail periodically. Communication problems are a very common cause of the issues in relationships that lead to divorce. AMS Mediation provides a service called Communication Coaching, which can help you and your ex communicate more effectively before, during and even after divorce.
Benefits Of Working With A Divorce Communication Coach
Communication may not be the source of your decision to seek a divorce from your spouse, but it is almost certainly one major ingredient. If you have had a history of difficult communication with your spouse, our Communication Coaching service may be exactly what you need as you navigate the complex process associated with divorce. Here are some of the immediate benefits of Communication Coaching:
● You can become more aware of how your communication habits and patterns are received by your spouse.
● Likewise, your spouse can become more aware of your intentions and how they receive your messages.
● If you have children, they can be negatively affected by ineffective communication, especially if you and your spouse have expressed conflict in your children’s presence. Most couples know that the impact of their arguing and/or fighting on their children is potentially negative, but the nature of relationship conflict often makes it difficult, if not impossible, to hold back expressing hostility and anger. We can help you use new communication strategies to mitigate or eliminate the kind of conflict that has a negative impact on your children.
● If you plan to co-parent after your divorce, communication coaching can help you avoid some of the common issues couples experience in their communication. There does not need to be any obvious conflict between you and your former spouse for communication issues to arise, but we can help you identify them ahead of time so you can avoid them in real time.
● Good communication starts with the ability to listen. We could all benefit from enhancing our listening skills, and they are all the more important when addressing issues of emotional intensity. Divorce very often qualifies.
Minnesota Divorce Mediator
AMS Mediation has helped many couples through their divorce processes, and improved communication only ever helps couples through this process. Call 952.252.1492 to learn more about our divorce mediation services.