There is no denying that divorce is hard on a couple, and on an entire family. Your emotions can range from intense sadness to anger, from guilt to remorse and many individuals feel confusion, uncertainty, shock, fear and many have trouble letting go. Adjusting to the idea that your marriage did not succeed can take some time and it is normal to feel a huge sense of loss during the process. AMS Mediation can help you navigate the entire divorce process so that you can focus on your life after divorce. Staying strong after a divorce is important for you as an individual and for your children if you have them. While there is no magic pill for healing after divorce, there are things that you can do to maximize your strength and begin the process of looking forward, not backwards.
Successfully Navigating Divorce
- Focus on what you can control: One of the most difficult parts of the divorce is all of the change that comes with it. Rather than focusing on all of the things that you cannot control, focus on what you can. Look at each day and make a list of the things you need to get done and do them.
- Find a way to forgive yourself: The blame for your divorce rarely rests squarely on one person’s shoulders. Forgiving yourself is one of the first things that you can do to really move forward with your life.
- Focus on small wins: Try to set small goals for yourself and even think of a small reward for yourself when you meet your goal.
- Put your kids first: If you share children with your ex, work hard not to say bad things about your ex to your kids, and encourage your kids to have a warm and loving relationship with both of you. This will help your children in the long run.
- Keep yourself busy during downtime: If you share custody, divorce will mean that you suddenly have significant alone time. Keeping yourself busy during the time when the kids are away is very important.
- Exercise: Staying healthy will help you feel better faster. Exercise is a great activity to keep you busy and healthy!
- Socialize: Even if you do not feel up for it, try to socialize with friends and co-workers.
- Ask for help and/or support: There will be times when you need support from family, friends, co-workers or even a professional. Keep in mind that this is not a sign of weakness, but instead will help you find inner strength.
Divorce Mediation Lessens the Negative Impact of Divorce
Settling your divorce using mediation rather than litigation can help minimize the pain and stress of divorce so that you and your family can move forward more quickly. For more information about divorce mediation services, call the team at AMS Mediation at 952-252-1492.