Divorce is probably not the outcome you wanted for your marriage. Unfortunately, however, there are instances where divorce is the best possible outcome for a family, given the circumstances. No matter what drove you to the divorce and even if your relationship is full of conflict, divorce mediation can give you the resolution you need, without the enormous financial and emotional costs of a court battle. It is normal to have questions about the process and wonder whether it is something that will work for your situation. Amber Serwat of AMS Mediation can provide the information about the process that you need to take that first step.
Here is a general outline of the steps in the divorce mediation process:
1. Create an action plan and list priorities that will be addressed in the divorce mediation process.
2. Develop lists of information that will be needed. This will include financial information, bank records, mortgage statements, retirement balances, etc.
3. Determine whether additional professional services are needed. This could be attorneys, accountants, appraisers, therapists, etc.
4. Share and discuss all of your joint property and debt including estimates of value.
5. Work with your mediator and your ex to determine how to fairly and equitably divide your joint property.
6. Draft individual budgets for living separately (for two households).
7. Discuss and determine a financial plan (including child support and/or spousal maintenance).
8. Develop a parenting plan that will work for your family.
Minnesota Divorce Mediation Services
Of course, we can alter these steps to make sure that we address your specific needs and the needs of your family. It is important to note that all parts of the mediation process are entirely confidential and treated with care and sensitivity. When the process is complete, your mediator will draft a Memorandum of Agreement that will be the basis for the documents that will then be filed in court. Amber Serwat has helped many Minnesota couples through this process all while minimizing the negative impact on your financial situation and your children. You can expect to be able to settle the terms of your divorce in 3 or 4 mediation sessions over several weeks. The average cost of divorce mediation with AMS Mediation is approximately $4000. This is significantly less than a court battle.
If you have questions about the divorce mediation process or would like more information about the divorce mediation services provided by AMS Mediation, give us a call at 952-252-1492.